I have two new patterns for you this month, and both feature hedgehogs! I made the larger one using the 16 inch pillow size that I typically do. However, when I got done, I decided to make a smaller one as a toy. I AM IN LOVE! I plan to make more of these in difference sizes and colors. I'm also thinking about taking some of my other pillow patterns and making toy patters for them too.
Both patterns are available on this site, Ravelry, and Etsy.
I have a co-worker that is expecting this year. When she shared she was planning to have a jungle-themed nursery, I knew I had to make a monkey. Of course, we all could use a good monkey, so this was doubly perfect.
I searched for a pattern for a few days and landed on this one by LovelyBabyGift. You can find the paid pattern on both Etsy and Ravelry.
I worked on this for a few hours for about a week. It was very simple and the instructions were clear. I think I need to make this again in a few more colors.
Have you seen those fur pom poms that are designed to accent your crocheted or knitted accessories? They are SO super soft and they come in so many colors. If you have no clue what I'm speaking of, do a google image search for "fur pom pom" and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Every time I go into a yarn store I consider getting one. Why? I don't know. I'd never actually use it for its original purpose.
This weekend, however, I decided to take the plunge. There was one that just sort of "spoke" to me and asked to go home with me. So, I bought it.
After petting it for a few minutes, (okay, hours), I decided it should become a creature. Meet "Fidgit." He was super easy to make and I knocked him out in about an hour.
1. Crochet or knit a circle that fits your pom pom. In my case I crocheted 6 rounds total. It was enough to cover the snap that was on the pom pom and line up with the body center so I could sew it on.
2. Add two safety eyes.
3. Embroider the nose.
4. Crochet or knit two antennae. I chained 18, slip stitched in the 5th chain from hook and all the way back to the beginning of the chain. Attach antennae to the back of the face.
5. Sew the face onto the center of the pom pom. You may find this tricky if you are dealing with a snap or button in the middle, but do your best. It won't show anyway if you use a yarn that blends well. My nose ended up popping out a bit because of the snap, which I thought was super cute. If you don't have a snap in yours, consider adding a bit of fiberfill or other stuffing to get that same look.
One of my neices is SO into dinosaurs. How into them, you say? When we last visited she talked non-stop for over an hour detailing the plot of "Land Before Time." I can tell you EXCATLY what happened to Littlefoot and all his pals, and I've NEVER seen the movie.
Also, on occassion, she becomes her alter ego - T-Rex. When she does that she draws up her arms into her chest, bends over at the waist, and walks around on her tip toes growling. It matters not if she's at home, at the shops, on a hike - it just sort of happens. Her impression is so dead on people know immediately what she is.
How could I not make her a T-Rex for Christmas?
Thankfully, one of my favorite designers always has the perfect pattern. T-Rex is probably the 5th or 6th pattern by Paola Navarro at DeliciousCrochet.com that I've made, but I believe I own a dozen or so more. Her designs are jaw-droppingly cute and her instructions are impeccible. I was surprised at how quickly this guy worked up. As usual, I super-sized him a bit by doubling the yarn and using a larger hook. I also exaggerated the teeth and used a doll join for the legs and arms so they would move. I do the doll join for all my stuffed toys now as I think it brings them to life even more.
Those feet give me a giggle.
Get your copy of the pattern here.
Reports from my sister say that T-Rex was a hit. I'm so happy to be able to make these wonderful things for my family.
. . . I've learned you sometimes have to compromise, adjust, or just let things go. For example, cleaning my house is one of those things that fall to the "just let things go" list most of the time. But I digress.
My original plan was to make three Plant versus Zombie creatures for my desk for Halloween. I got the first two made and was starting the third when the reality that Halloween is on MONDAY hit me. I knew I would not have time to complete the original design, plus finish my costume, plus finish my son's costume, plus make the 4,000 cake balls I committed to. But, I REFUSE TO ADD TO MY UFO PILE! What's a girl to do? Improvise!
What you see here was supposed to be a Cabbage with a catapult on its back and a tiny cabbage sitting inside the basket. Once I realized I had limited time and I only had the main body and part of a leaf done, I started playing around to see how I could turn it into something else. TA DA - the green bunny was born.
And look! I even added a tail!
Happy Halloween Ya'll!
I had so much fun making my first critter from Aradiya at Etsy, that I decided to make another one. I am so glad I did. These two look great hanging out together.
I'm now working on a third one and will post it when done. In the meantime, you can pick up a copy of the pattern here.
Took a bit of a break from the Fall Leaves Bag to create some creatures for my desk at work. Here's the first one I finished - Chomper from Plants versus Zombies. I took some creative liberty with the pattern as I wanted my plan to be potted, but for the most part I followed the instructions completely. This is an easy pattern and works up quickly. Make your own Chomper by picking up the pattern here.